Do you have a green thumb?

I’m by no means a conservationist or a radical EPA enthusiast.  However, in the last few months it has occurred to me, through meetings with several vendors that we, do in so many ways, waste our resources through needless avenues.  I felt the need to share several fundamental and statistical facts of occurrences that occur in our communities as well as our homes.

  • A heavy coat of dust on a light bulb can block up to half of the light.  A little dusting goes a long way
  • A water faucet that leaks one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month. That’s more than
  • one person uses in two weeks showering!
  • An energy-smart clothes washer can save more water in one year than one person drinks in an entire lifetime! On average a person drinks 14600 gallons of water!
  • When you turn on an incandescent light bulb, only 10 percent of the electricity used is turned into light. The other 90 percent is wasted as heat. So of the $1 you spend, you only get $.10 worth of light!!
  • A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75 percent less energy than a regular bulb – and it can last up to four years. Think of how often you change your bulbs now!
  • A crack as small as 1/16th of an inch around a window frame can let in as much cold air as leaving the window open three inches! Three inches when its 20 degrees outside!
  • Some new refrigerators are so energy-smart they use less electricity than a light bulb! Time for an upgrade? Gotta love a Smart Fridge!!
  • An automatic dishwasher uses less hot water than doing dishes by hand – an average of six gallons less, or more than 2,000 gallons per
  1. Doesn’t this make sense, cause who likes to wash their own dishes!!
  • Every time you open the refrigerator door, up to 30 percent of the cold air can escape. So think about how long you stand with the door open!
  • The energy saving from recycling one plastic bottle can power a 100 watt light bulb for almost an hour. A liter of Dr. Pepper could light your living room!  
  • Just one recycled aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television for three hours! Couple of cokes a day is a day of TV think about it!
  • Every year, more than $13 billion worth of energy leaks from houses through small holes and cracks. A little caulk never hurt anyone!

As you can see from these various references, it is interesting to look at the facts that have been assembled over the years.  An interesting fact, that is very evident, is that technology is heading in the direction of saving our resources, and performing these jobs easier. Of course these are just a small fraction of the energy saving or depleting issues that are out there.  I want to use this as an encouragement to us all to; look into, study, research the various ways we could do our part in the reserving our resources that we so often take for granted.  I challenge us all to pick out 3 of the above items and be intentional about performing the task or not performing the task whichever the case may be.

–Jonathan Williams

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *