Recipe by Chef Mark Adams at The Brennity at Melbourne.
– Puff pastry sheets
– Diced bacon
– Fresh ground nutmeg
– Shredded manchego cheese
- Use puff pastry sheets for the crust and roll them out to twice their original size with a rolling pin to line the bottom of a hotel pan.
* You could do this with any baking pan, tart shell, etc.
- Sauté diced bacon until crisp in a separate pan, and drain off the excess fat (reserve fat for leeks.)
- Sprinkle the bacon on the puff pastry.
- Cut leeks into quarter-inch slices only using the white portion. Sauté until tender and then place the leeks on top of the bacon.
* The green portion of the leek is excellent for making stock!
- Next step is to make the quiche batter. Use a scrambled egg and cream mixture with a 2 to 1 ratio of egg to cream. Season with salt, pepper and fresh ground nutmeg.
- Pour quiche batter over leeks and bacon to fill pan. Top with shredded manchego cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the eggs are fully cooked and the cheese is golden brown.
- Let the dish cool overnight in the refrigerator, then cut to desired shape such as squares, triangles, or unique shapes with cookie cutters.
Serve with baby field greens, steamed broccoli and fresh berries.