The Day with the Most Light is the Day We Fight!
June 21: The first day of summer. The longest day of the year. The best day to fight the good fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
Often called the “cruelest disease,” Alzheimer’s is a progressive brain disorder that damages and eventually destroys brain cells, causing problems with memory, thinking and behavior. It is a progressive disease, where dementia symptoms gradually worsen over a number of years. In its early stages, memory loss is mild, but with late-stage Alzheimer’s, individuals lose the ability to carry on a conversation and respond to their environment.
Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States, the Alzheimer’s Association reports. More than 5 million Americans are living with the disease, and more than 16 million family members and friends provide care to people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias in the US.
But there is hope.
Alzheimer’s research is a dynamic field, and momentum builds each year. According to the Alzheimer’s Association, neuroscience research efforts are underway to develop effective treatments and ways to prevent the disease. Smart, young (and not-so-young) doctors and scientists are thinking and working outside the box in this worldwide effort.
Next Thursday, June 21, 2018, people across the globe will participate in The Longest Day—doing what they love all day long to raise funds for the good fight against Alzheimer’s. It’s not too late to get involved! And, fund-raising events don’t have to be held on the 21st, they can be a different day.
Sagora Senior Living is a longtime supporter of Alzheimer’s Association chapters across the country. We are proud of our communities that work and plan each year to participate in The Longest Day. Residents, associates, family members, friends and vendors become the village it takes to fight this good fight.
Here are a few of our community Longest Day events you might enjoy!
- Lakeview at Josey Ranch in Carrollton, Texas is hosting the Longest Day Dementia Awareness Walk around Sandy Lake, Saturday, June 23.
- The Veraden in Edmond, Okla. will present, “The Veraden’s Got Talent!” featuring entertainment by residents, family members and associates, as well as a silent auction, Thursday, June 21.
- The Brennity at Daphne in Alabama is hosting “Color Me Purple” featuring a silent auction, purple photo booth and refreshments, Thursday, June 21.
- Bellarose, in Tulsa, Okla. is hosting a Craft & Bake Sale where residents will donate crafts and baked goods to sell Thursday, June 21.
- The Brennity at Tradition in Port St. Lucie, Fla., is hosting The Longest Day Summer Soiree, Thursday, June 21.
- Landon Ridge – Sugar Land in Texas is hosting a Silent Auction, Tuesday, June 19 featuring items donated by residents and staff, plus raffle gift baskets. That same evening will bring a community Talent Show with a tip jar and a bar serving purple champagne cocktails for donations. Happy Hour Friday, June 22 will feature mouth-watering Louisiana Gumbo for a donation.
- Lyndale – Abilene Senior Living is hosting Bunco Night, Monday, June 18 and a thirst quenching Lemonade Stand, Friday, June 22.
Written by Becky Deo
June 14, 2018