“There are some people in life that make you laugh a little louder, smile a little bigger and live just a little bit better.” -Unknown
It is February, and in this month we tend to think a little more about the ones we hold dearest to our hearts. We think about our spouses, children, grandchildren, and our closest friends. I encourage you to read the quote above and think about those in your life who make you laugh and smile. Are they who you thought they would be? Are you laughing and smiling as much as you used to? Would you like to have more meaningful interactions throughout the day?
Did you know? According to the National Council on Aging:
- Feelings of loneliness increase the risk of cognitive decline and dementia
- Social isolation is one of two factors making elders vulnerable to abuse
- Geographic, physical and cultural barriers prevent 1 in 6 seniors from interacting with their peers in the community
However, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center, social interaction in older adults can:
- Potentially reduce risk for cardiovascular problems, some cancers, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis
- Potentially reduce risk for Alzheimer’s disease
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce risk for mental health issues such as depression
Our Lifestyles program is committed to enriching our resident’s lives as a whole. By offering fun and vibrant activities that encompass all the aspects of wellness (physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual, vocational, and of course social), we provide our residents with the best opportunity to thrive in the years to come. Some ways we do this is providing a variety of daily social activities, entertainment, seminars, and fitness classes, as well as trips to fun places around town. Like anywhere, you have your choice of things you can participate in throughout the day, but the convenience and the ease of enjoying life here of Tulsa are hard to beat!
Written by Christal Hoffman, Senior Lifestyles & Pathways Specialist