As temperatures can still be chilly across the country, this hearty meal will be sure to warm you up! This recipe is shared from our corporate Culinary Director Specialist, John Tolbert.
3-4 pound chuck roast
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
4 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
4 cups beef broth
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 French baguette, cut into 1/2″ slices
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme.
- Add the vegetable oil to a pan and heat. When it is hot, add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add onions, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and thyme and cook covered, for 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and remove thyme sprigs.
- Turn oven to hi-broil.
- Shred the beef in very large chunks.
- Top with sliced baguettes and Gruyere cheese.
- Place the pot into the oven, uncovered, and broil until the cheese begins to bubble and brown, about 1-2 minutes.