Rawsi Williams once said, “to do what nobody else will do, in a way that nobody else can do, in spite of all we go through, that is what it is to be a nurse.”
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve seen our nurses go above and beyond in ways we didn’t know possible. They’ve put the health and safety of our residents ahead of their own, worked long and tireless hours, been open to tasks outside of their job description and have done it all while exhibiting a positive spirit though the uncertain times.
National Nurses Week is traditionally celebrated each year from May 6 to May 12. However, as part of the “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” celebration, the American Nurses Association will expand National Nurses Week to a month-long celebration in May to expand opportunities to elevate and celebrate nursing.
We cannot express our gratitude enough to our nurses at our Sagora Senior Living communities and to nurses across the world. Are you looking for ways to thank a nurse while maintaining social distancing protocols? Check out our tips below!
• Perform a drive-by tribute outside of a senior living community, hospital or other healthcare organization. Get creative and make some noise! People across the nation are driving by healthcare organizations while honking horns, cheering, applauding and holding signs of gratitude.
• Write thank you notes. Sit down with a pen and paper or cards and write notes expressing your thankfulness and words of encouragement to nurses working on the frontlines. You can even get the kids involved!
• Drop off meals. Sometimes there’s nothing better than a warm meal. Many local restaurants are offering curbside service or delivery options to have meals delivered directly to the workplace.
• Stay home. Above all else, the most considerate thing we can do for our nurses at this time is to stay home to flatten the curve and mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Additionally, several companies are offering discounts for nurses during the month of May. If you’re a nurse, please see the below special offers.
• Adidas is offering a 40% discount for nurses and other medical professionals.
• Dunkin Donuts will offer a free coffee and donut to all healthcare workers on National Nurses Day, May 6.
• Krispy Kreme will offer free donuts to nurses and other healthcare workers on Monday, May 4. Just show your badge in the drive thru.
• Starbucks will give out a free tall brewed (hot or iced) coffee to first responders and frontline healthcare workers through the end of May.
Once again, thank you to all of our incredible, selfless, caring nurses. Your compassion and dedication to living out our Resident First philosophy does not go unnoticed and we are so thankful to have you as part of the Sagora family.
Are you a nurse looking for a new career? Explore our open opportunities today at Jobs.Sagora.com.