In addition to Independent Living and Assisted Living, Sagora Senior Living is proud to offer Memory Care living options for our residents. As we understand that Memory Care can be a sensitive subject and perhaps confusing and overwhelming for family members, we have launched a blog series devoted entirely to Memory Care. Our hope is that we provide educational resources, answers to frequently asked questions and support as you navigate your loved one’s Alzheimer’s or dementia diagnosis.
As we continue to discuss nutrition and how it relates to Memory Care, we will focus on what our Freshen Program is and how it benefits our Memory Care residents in this week’s feature. The Sagora Pathways Freshen Program includes scent and comfort triggers for appetite and is also a luxurious cue to prepare for mealtime. The routine of the Freshen Program before every meal is not only a wonderful sensory experience, but it helps with calming anxiety because the residents know that it is mealtime.
The program includes:
- Towels with essential oils with aromas that trigger hunger are prepared before mealtime.
- Towels are heated in warmers to be delivered to your loved ones.
- Rolled, warm towels are served on a silver platter using silver tongs.
- Towels are lightly waved and cooled to the optimal temperature while being served.
- Towels are washed immediately after use. Residents can participate in washing and folding if they would like to engage in this activity.
Multiple studies suggest that essential oils can be used to relieve stress, provide mental clarity and focus, and to ease muscle aches and pains. If you’d like to implement the use of essential oils in your home or for your loved one, we recommend the below oils.
- Lavender. Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils on the market. This scent helps to calm, soothe and relax. This scent can be directly inhaled or sprayed on linens before bedtime.
- Peppermint. Peppermint is a great oil to provide an energetic boost whenever needed. It can be diffused, used as a massage oil or in a hot bath.
- Rosemary. Similar to peppermint, Rosemary is an uplifting oil used to stimulate the mind and body. It may even improve cognitive performance and mood.
- Lemon balm. Lemon balm helps calm and relax people who are dealing with anxiety and insomnia, improve memory and ease indigestion.
If you’d like to learn more about our Freshen Program, we encourage you to speak with one of our Memory Care experts. Learn more about our communities and schedule a virtual tour here.