In addition to Independent Living and Assisted Living, Sagora Senior Living is proud to offer Memory Care living options for our residents. As we understand that Memory Care can be a sensitive subject and perhaps confusing and overwhelming for family members, we are launching a blog series devoted entirely to Memory Care. Our hope is that we provide educational resources, answers to frequently asked questions and support as you navigate your loved one’s Alzheimer’s or dementia diagnosis.
As a way to kick off this series, we will first be focusing on what Alzheimer’s is and how to recognize the signs and symptoms. Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that slowly and continuously destroys thinking skills, memory and eventually the ability to carry out the simple tasks that many take for granted every day. There is a wide variety of symptoms, behavior changes and challenges for family and caregivers during the three stages of Alzheimer’s Disease which are early, middle and late stages.
The top six signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s include cognitive and behavioral signs.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks: Having difficulty driving to a familiar location, managing a budget or following a familiar recipe.
- Confusion with time or place: Having a hard time trying to understand something that is not happening immediately; struggling to remember where they are or how they got there.
- Difficulty with visual images and spatial relationships: Having difficulty reading, judging distance and determining color or contrast.
- Changes in behavior and personality: Close friends and relatives notice changes in temperament, mood or your loved one adopting unusual habits.
- Decreased or poor judgment: Using poor judgment when dealing with money; paying less attention to grooming or keeping themselves clean.
- New problems with words in speaking or writing: Struggling to follow or join a conversation; stopping in the middle of a conversation with no idea how to continue.
If your loved one is experiencing any of the above symptoms, we’re here to help. Our Memory Care experts are here for you and for every need along the way. Our residents can even experience a true continuum of care as they have the ability to transition from Independent Living to Assisted Living to Memory Care as needed. For more information on our communities, contact information and how to schedule a virtual tour, click here.